Saturday, October 23, 2010

Sunday 101024

REST DAY

" What does RX mean to you"


The term prescribed when it comes to workouts has become a badge of honor and a way of validating a person's performance. The weights prescribed are geared toward having a high power output and a theoretical "maximum" cyclic rate. If Fran is thought of as 45 thrusters at #95 and 45 pull ups and let's say the "best" time is 2:00 (120 seconds) which results in each rep in 1.33 seconds per with no time loss for transition. Add transition time between stations and then the cyclic rate is faster. We seem to hold performances like this as the standard. It is far from it. How many people can do a 2:00 Fran? Very very few. A 2:00 minute Fran is a mixture of genetic potential, training, and a god like tolerance for discomfort. How many people can really move that fast?

People often frame their success in terms of the extreme. The all or none relationship between training for the 2:00 Fran or Boston Marathon. Top 10 in the CrossFit Games or the Hawaii Iron man. Make it to the platform in the Olympics or why bother?. All of these are worthy goals and attainable by about the same percentage of people who have 2:00 Frans. Success and failure is often measured by people in terms of how close they are to the super elite performances and not on an accurate assessment of their current and true abilities. Your ultimate success depends on being there and getting better all the time.

Should a person feel "bad" about their performance doing Fran in 7:00 with #45 and jumping pull ups. Depends. If the last time the individual did Fran was with a #15 training bar in 12:00 then no - it is an absolute success. If the person is coming off of a car accident and inconsistent training as a results, they should have a lot of pride for toughing it out. If your last time you did Fran was 5:00 and your slow down is from a drinking and taco bell bender then you might want to rethink your life. Ultimately framing your performance in terms of you yesterday is better than comparing to elite performers. (Though comparing to the best out there is cool from time to time.)

Prescribed weights are guidelines. Guidelines dependent on several factors. Everyone who attends a CrossFit level 1 hears the mantra: Mechanics, Consistency, Intensity. Poor mechanics are a recipe for bad things. People who cannot have good mechanics in a movement needs to devote time to scaling the load and practicing the movements. Consistent training is the pathway to intensity. Training often enough to make good movement a habit and taking time develop the strength base to handle higher levels of intensity is essential to good training. Intensity is where all the good things come in. Working toward high levels of work capacity decreases body fat, increases lean muscle mass and tend to move health measurements in the right direction. Intensity without mechanics and consistency is like giving a 4 year old loaded gun.

The "right" prescription for each individual. First, check your ego at the door. Second, take time to learn how before you blast off. Your ego boost should come from doing it right, rather than doing it fast. Understand that fast is relative. Fast relative to Graham Holmberg or fast relative to what you did the last time? You know the answer. Enjoy the journey: Being better all the time is the quest. A life long journey of good health and quality of life does not happen in 2 months. It happens from a commitment to being better all the time. Consistently better all the time.

Your prescribed weight makes you better. Your prescribed weight is what you need to pull you along the journey of excellence. Your prescribed weight is what is right for you.

post thoughts to comments

7 comments:

  1. very good. (i like the face-lift btw!) i compare myself more to others than i do to myself. i think that we all strive to be as good as somebody else (mimi) and not a better version of ourselves... so good insight and though i do want to grow up to be like mimi... i will grow into a stronger and faster "me". :)

    ReplyDelete
  2. I'm with you mechstep, I want to be as fast and as strong as Mimi also...in the meantime, I'll be content if I could just be as tough as my wife.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Right there with ya Cody

    ReplyDelete
  4. Like the flames. Good look. Mimi you are still freakishly strong.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Crossfit has made my overall health better. I do crossfit for me, I love way I feel, and I love to improve the longer I stick with it. I agree, form over anything is the most important. I am stronger and in better shape than I ever have been. Prescribed for me is just enough weight that it is not easy while maintaining form. As long as I give 100% each WOD then time really doesn't matter. Anyone who tries Crossfit and sticks with it is my hero!

    ReplyDelete
  6. pam saunders24/10/10 21:45

    I remember my goal in joining crossfit in June was to become a stronger tennis player. Saturday I was on the court realizing that my goal had been accomplished. I realized that I could quit crossfit and be satisfied. But I also realized that crossfit benefits are far more reaching that just physical. I feel more in tune with myself physically and mentally and I want to find out more about myself and my capabilities. it is also inspiring to be around all of you and watch your accomplishments.

    ReplyDelete
  7. Coming up on my one year crossfit anniversary in about weeks. If you would have asked me back then what I thought I would be able to do now, I wouldn't have been close! Just seeing what I have accomplished is a sure sign to me that crossfit works! I am in better shape than ever and I have a stronger upper body than I have ever had. Prescribed to me is better than last time. Thanks guys!

    ReplyDelete